Today I had the opportunity of attending a fashion presentation by Ken Downing, Sr. Vice President and Fashion Director of Neiman Marcus. A very genuine, funny and kind soul, he would make these comments – life advice, if you will – that I absolutely adored, so obviously I had to share with you. Something to note – most of these statements, or ‘style rules,’ actually surprised me coming from a fashion icon, but that’s what makes them even better. So here are 7 things I learned from Ken Downing…
1. Don’t worry about what you think you should wear – just wear what makes you feel good.
2. Mix in costume jewelry. Nobody cares if it’s cheap or expensive.
3. Embrace the hair that comes out of your head.
4. When print goes too far it looks its absolute best.
5. Layering is super chic.
6. There is always a reason to have something around your wrist.
7. There can never be too many pearls in one place.
My biggest take away from Ken’s trend report is to follow your own rules. Shop the seasons and find what works for your body, your style and your life. And confidence – always wear confidence.
If you’re feeling inspired – I just discovered THIS sale (up to 40% off)!
And if you head to my Snapchat @obsessedportia in the next 24 hours – you can see my pics from the fashion show! ♥
*Photos courtesy of GIPHY.com