The Stillaguamish Athletic Club is my happy place. On any given week I spend 10-15 hours there and I can’t express enough what this place has done for me and my family. It goes way beyond just being a place to ‘workout.’
I know many of you struggle with the thought of joining a gym – risk of injury, intimidation, cost, time, etc. The list can be daunting…
I’m going to let you in on the secrets only gym insiders know…5 reasons it’s time to take the plunge and commit to a gym…it literally can save your life. ♥
- Health. Let’s get the obvious out of the way. Exercise helps you live longer (and MUCH happier) – Surprise! Some of us (ME!) need the ‘gym’ environment to get motivated. Once I’ve got the fitness feel in my veins, then I can explore a home dvd workout or other fitness avenues, but let’s face it – a gym is a good place to stay focused…and Healthy. I also incorporate the best hmb supplement in my daily routine in order to reach my fitness goals even faster.
- Friendship. The gym is an instant way to meet like-minded people. Everyone is on the same mission – to better themselves, physically and mentally. I like to think of it as “we’re all in this together.” Guess where I met my best friends? Yep, at the gym! It’s pretty amazing what you discover about people when you are both dripping sweat in a class together or recuperating in the sauna. You may be thinking – I have friends, I don’t need to find them at the gym. Seriously?! Who doesn’t want more friends? Especially ones that are fit, healthy, happy and ready to chat about their fave ab routine or meal prep idea! Friends inspire. ♥
- Accountability. You are not doing yourself any favors by sitting on the couch merely watching the fitness dvd. If you were at a gym, there’s a much higher likelihood that you won’t just stand there and watch everyone else workout, right? So put a class in your phone calendar (Muscle Conditioning at 9:30am for example) and treat it as a required task, as you would any other event. Intertwined with my friendship reasoning, having someone to meet everyday makes it nearly impossible to skip that morning workout…Trust me I know!
- Reduce Stress. When I hit the gym on a particularly anxious day, it gives me the opportunity to breathe and take time to recharge my batteries. Taking a solo run on the treadmill, finding your zen in yoga or jumping in a Zumba class boosts your endorphins and helps shine a brighter light on previous struggles. I now regard my gym as a sanctuary- no matter what’s going on, I always know I can find pieces of happy the moment I walk in.
- Childcare. I know this only applies to parents with kids under the age of 10, but I have to add it to my list – because seriously this one is pretty major in my book. As a parent, sanity is a nice thing to have. Everyone needs “me time” and that is sometimes impossible as a parent unless you create it. Joining a gym that has childcare is like hitting the “me time” jackpot. You workout + Your kids play and make new friends = Win/Win!! The pretty amazing part is that your kids know why you are there…they see that you are exercising – talk about leading by example. ♥
Let’s get back to the Stillaguamish Athletic Club. Since I have some major love for this place, I wanted to share an event coming up that is a PERFECT opportunity to join their gym! They are having an Open House on Monday, February 9th, 8am-7pm. Here’s the event lowdown:
“Drop And Give Us 15”
- $15 Enrollment Fee *Special!
- FREE Childcare All Day (8am-7pm)!
- Guests are FREE All Day!
- FREE Demo Classes, including TRX!
- Contests & Prizes!
- Healthy Snacks!
- Massage Available!
I am fortunate enough to be included in this event, so come check it out! I’ll show you around and tell you all of the reasons I love the “Stilly.” :)
*Not all exercise programs are suitable for everyone. Check with your doctor before beginning any fitness program to avoid/reduce the risk of injury. Exercise at your own risk. Portia will not be responsible or liable for any injury sustained as a result of using any fitness program presented and/or discussed on Obsessed by Portia.