Located on the Hood Canal, just two hours west of Seattle, Alderbrook Resort & Spa is a Northwest tradition I’ve been enjoying since I was little. Every summer, my grandma and I would take a long weekend, cross the Edmonds ferry to Kingston and head to the resort to relish in our favorite activities together – beach-combing, swimming and playing cards. It definitely has something to offer for everyone – especially if you’re looking for a family and pet-friendly getaway! Today I’m sharing how to plan a trip – what you should bring and most importantly why you need to visit this quintessential PNW resort!
Established in 1913 and renovated in 2004, Alderbrook Resort & Spa spans 88 acres with majestic views of the Olympic Mountains. They’ve done a fantastic job at preserving the history (since I’ve been going for decades I can vouch for this!), with impeccable updates that resonate a luxurious respite.
The cozy lobby was one of our favorite spots – and where Adalyn (my 6 year old) learned to play chess for the first time. They offer games, art supplies, along with a welcome reception on Friday evenings featuring their private-label beer, Battlebrook by Fish Tale.
Alderbrook Resort & Spa has 77 guest rooms available, along with 16 private beach house cottages. We had the opportunity of staying in a cottage – which I highly recommend for families. There are one and two bedrooms available with fully-furnished kitchens, separate living rooms and fireplaces. A few of the cottages are pet-friendly so specify when making your reservation! One of my favorite amenities in the rooms were the custom Pendleton blankets – perfect for the cool beach nights.
When we arrived on Friday evening, we headed to dinner soon after to check-in at The Restaurant and Bar at Alderbrook, located onsite featuring fresh, local seafood and regionally-inspired cuisine. I highly recommend the handmade pasta which rotates weekly paired with one of their local wine collections.
My husband and I closed out the evening with Selkie Cider, Alderbrook Resort & Spa’s private label batch, while the kiddos played in the large waterfront cottage lawn.
The next morning we ventured around the resort before heading to brunch.
Along with a stroll down the dock…
If you’re a boating family like us, slips are available for guest moorage. There’s also a private swimming area, along with kayak, stand-up paddleboard and motor boat rentals.
After we worked up an appetite – we headed to the restaurant for waffles (and bloody mary’s!).
And then hours of playing on the beach…
Along with copious amounts of sun-basking.
That afternoon we headed to the glass-enclosed, heated saltwater pool with an amazing hot tub!
Thanks to my friends at Stephen Joseph Gifts for these Hooded Fish Towels (so perfect for this trip!).
If you’re needing a little more R&R, I recommend checking out the Spa at Alderbrook which is adjacent to the pool. They offer a range of signature treatments along with a full fitness center, steam room, dry sauna and outdoor Spa patio with a view. (Moms – perfect timing to leave the kiddos with dad and treat yo’ self!).
That afternoon, we headed to our next activity – Oyster Harvest on the Dock where my daughter did her first oyster shooter! The chef shared their process for oyster harvesting and how to best prepare and serve.
In the evening, resort staff lit the community outdoor fire pits and s’mores kits were available in the restaurant. Alderbrook Resort & Spa felt like a mini neighborhood – my daughter’s became fast friends with the other young children, playing lawn games, soccer, and adventuring on the beach – reminiscent of when I stayed there as a child.
The next morning before we headed home, I picked up a few groceries for breakfast at the local store in Union, Wa, which is only a 2 minute drive from the resort. We then soaked in our last moments by the water before venturing across the ferry.
I will admit, after two fun-filled days it was really hard to leave, even the littles cried, asking when we’ll be back. And since then, I swear I have told every single person I talk to – GO! It was an unforgettable experience to share a piece of my childhood with my children – and I hope this inspires you to make memories with your own there.
As promised, here’s my advice on how to plan a trip to Alderbrook Resort & Spa:
- Make your reservation NOW. Word of mouth has served the resort well, the secret’s out on this perfect family getaway – so if you want to book a room, plan ahead!
- Reserve a cottage when traveling with kids or pets. It offers the most space with easy access to the yard, activities and the beach. p.s. The Spa also offers dog massages!
- Feeling adventurous? Check out these nearby hikes: Mt. Eleanor, Staircase National Park, Duckabush, or Dosewallips.
- Bring your swimsuits! One of the best indoor pools we have ever visited for both kids and parents!
- Check out their event calendar to make a fun itinerary.
- Love to golf? Try your hand at the 18-hole PGA-class golf course.
- Electric vehicle? They have complimentary charging stations.
- Large group or event? Reserve the resort’s 54-foot private yacht, Lady Alderbrook.
- Planning a wedding? They offer year-round weddings with 7,000 square feet of event space.
- Kid pick: The geocaching program, which allows you to explore the lush grounds surrounding the resort with 36 official geocaches on the property.
- Artist at heart? Alderbrook Resort & Spa offers a Creativity on the Canal program which encourages artist expression. Creativity kits and supplies are available for purchase and each room is equipped with complimentary sketchbooks and pencils (my daughter immediately discovered!). You’ll also find easels throughout the property, rotating workshops and a waterfront painting class during the spring/summer.
- Food – The Restaurant at Alderbrook is open for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner (Brunch on the weekends) with weekday happy hours and live music on Fridays. If you’re in a cottage, pick up groceries in Union and utilize the full kitchen for a few meals!
If you have an opportunity to visit this month – here’s their April Guest Experience Brochure!
If you liked this post, Pin for later!
Cheers to PNW Adventures!
*Photo editing by Jasmine Klein Photography
Disclosure: Alderbrook Resort & Spa graciously hosted our family. The opinions expressed here represent my own, which I take great pride in providing pure honesty…because I’m OBSESSED with sharing the Good!